- To be able to speak and write with correction, fluidity and communicative efficiency in both general and professional environements.
- To meditate upon the systematic aspects of the different English language uses from different analytic perspectives: phonetics, phonology, lexical, morphology, semantics, syntax, discursive, pragmatic, stylistic and sociolinguistic.
- To be able to understand and analyse the evolution of written English literature and its expansion and popularisation through cineman and the media.
- To have knowledge about main English texts, authors and literary movements of the English speaking countries.
- To be able to understand the historical and cultural reality of the English speaking countries.
- To learn the basics of translations from Catalan and Spanish to English and from English to Catalan and Spanish.
- To be able to serve as a language interpreter in communicative situations which involve speakers of Catalan, Spanish and English.
- To be able to be autonomous in the process of language learning.
- To be able to apply linguistic knowledge in professional environements
- Capacity for analysis and synthesis.
- Capacity for thinking critically.
- Concern about general knowledge and for specific knowledge about human heritage.
- Teamwork skills and abilities concerning work relationships
- Knowledge and sensitivity towards cultural diversity.
- To be capable to plan and organise academic work and research.
- To be capable to communicate in Catalan and Spanish orally and in writing in addition to having a command of one or more foreign languages.
- Ability to use the terminology and techniques specific to a particular professional environment.
Personal language competences
- Command of the English language from different grammatical perspectives: phonetic, phonological, lexical, morphological, semantic, syntactic, discursive, pragmatic stylistic and socio-linguistic.
- Ability to speak and write in English with correctness, fluency and communicative efficiency, both in everyday situations and in academic and professional environments.
- Understanding the diachronic evolution of the English language, as well as the reasons for and parameters of its implementation as a global language.
Literary personal competences
- Knowledge of the main texts, authors and literary movements in the English language, as well as its historical evolution, and its literary and socio-linguistic context.
- Knowledge of literary theory, its trends, evolution, methodology and categories, including the different genres and other literary forms.
- Knowledge of the relationships between historical and social events and literary output in English-speaking countries.
Language and literary instrumental competences
- Knowledge and practical command of rhetoric, stylistic and other resources linked to the process of literary creation and the objective optimisation of oral and written communication in the English language.
- Ability to analyse, evaluate and correct oral and written English texts grammatically and stylistically.
- Critical, theoretical and practical knowledge and the ability to participate in the design of interpersonal communication processes addressed to the general public for informative, persuasive, didactic and commercial purposes.